Dance With Us!
Welcome to CrossCurrents Contra Dances in Kansas City, Missouri! We hold our dances on the 4th Saturday of each month.
Our lively dances are done to live, fiddle-style music with great callers. Contra dances (also called barndances) are great fun and an excellent way to meet new people. Our dance community attracts people from their teens to their 70s. One of the best things about contra dance is there is no partner needed! It is a style of dance that is designed to be social so you get to interact with most everyone in the room within the first hour or so.
Contra dance enjoys a wide popularity around the world. It only takes a few minutes and one simple lesson to learn the basics — then you can dance the night away. Come join us! We’d love to see you!
We are currently dancing at North Cross United Methodist Church at 1321 NE Vivion Road, Kansas City, Missouri. Stay tuned for venue updates.
- Beginner lesson at 6:30 p.m.
- Dancing from 7-9:30 p.m. with a short intermission break.
- Admission donation: $8 – $15; children 12 and under: $4
Other Area Barn Dances
- Contra dance: Visit lawrencecontradance.org for information.
- English Country dance: Visit kansasfolk.org/english for information.
Kansas City, Missouri:
- KC English Country Dance: Visit kcenglishdance.weebly.com for information.
On the first, third, and fifth Fridays of the month. Visit their website for information.
Visit their website for information.
St. Louis area dances:
Visit their website for information about St. Louis and Carbondale, Illinois dances. This is also where you’ll find info about the Kimmswick dance weekend.
General Dance Resources
Visit these sites to find out more about Contra Dance:
- www.sbcds.org/contradance/whatis – a great explanation of contra dance!
- www.thecommonspace.org/2002/06/games.php – This article by a St. Louis area contra dancer gives a good overview.
- www.contracorners.net – has links to contra dance websites around the country
- www.cdss.org – The Country Dance and Song Society has books, music and other information pertaining to traditional dance and music